Constipation is a common occurrence for children, it’s a painful experience that may cause the child to avoid going to the toilet, which can lead to hard large stools.
There are periods where constipation in children tends to commonly occur:
- Introducing solid foods
- Potty training
- Starting school for the first time.
These are some of the emotional reasons and doesn’t change the fact that children are not constipated like adults – fluid intake, diet, illness, or medications.
Symptoms of constipation in children
Your Child may have constipation if:
- They have done less than 3 poo in a week
- Their poo is hard and large
- Feeling pain when having a poo
- Blood on the surface of a hard stool
- Traces of Liquid poo in child’s underwear
Causes of constipation in children
- A low diet in fiber like fruits and vegetables
- The fear of going to use the toilet or holding on. Going against the urge can cause constipation because the feaces will build up in the bowel which will create large and hard stools.
- Not drinking enough fluids
Grow Up Smart & Healthy!
Order our Peak 456 Milk products and start teaching your kids the right ways of eating and living
How to manage constipation in children
If your child is affected, you as a parent will need to make lifestyle changes by getting him/her to:
- Drink enough water and fluids
- Eating food rich in fiber
- Encourage regular toilet habits
- Cutting down food with high fat and high sugar
Examples of food rich in fibers
Children can be picky when it comes to food, finding the right way to sneak in high fiber foods should not become a behavioral issue – eating food should always remain a pleasure.
- Foods like cereals containing whole wheat and Peak 456, Porridge, toast made with whole meal bread and peak 456.
- Fruits with skin (e.g., Apples, grapes, pears, bananas, cherries etc.)
We have amazing interactive activity sheets for your kids, click here and have fun time with your kids now
You can also check out our creative foods that will surely delight the kids. Kindly click here and browse through our fantastic and tasty food menus.